Voices from HOME Oral History Project
May 2019 Interview Guide | Theme: Moms & Proms
This month, we invite you to reflect on your relationship with your mom and to have fun thinking back to your high school days. Choose a few of these questions to help guide your interview, or come up with questions of your own. Remember, it’s okay to let the conversation flow naturally and lead you to other topics.
- Tell me about your mom. What are some special memories of her? What is one of the best things your mom taught you?
- What kinds of things did you do with your mom? Did you cook together? Did you dance together?
- What music played at your prom? What were some of your favorite songs? What music did your mom like at the time?
- What was the clothing like at your prom? Hairstyles? How did you and your mom interact over your “look?”
- When did you first fall in love? Can you tell me about your first relationship or first kiss? What advice do you have for young couples?
Questions to ask a mom:
- When did you first find out that you’d be a mom? How did that feel? Can you describe the moment you saw your child for the first time?
- What were your proudest moments as a parent? What were some of the hardest? What advice would you give me about raising kids of my own?
- How has being a parent changed you? What are your dreams for your children or grandchildren? What values do you hope you’ve instilled?
Voices from HOME: Celebrating, recording, & sharing stories from one generation to the next in the heart of rural Maine.